Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Teacher Burnout: A Positive Resolution

It is the day after Labor Day.  Across the nation, teachers are officially back to school, either prepping for or receiving actual students.  Like all of these teachers, I am here as well, sitting through countless meetings, trying to absorb all of the changes that will be coming into play this year, from new staff members and administration to a new evaluation system.

Change, when it is so much at one time, can become very overwhelming and frustrating.  Last year, between being a first time mother and full time teacher and graduate student as well, I was screaming, "I don't exist!" by the end of September. Change is inevitable but can have a negative impact if not handled well.  By Thanksgiving, I was burned out.  I was dragging my feet to work, not wanting to leave my car, much like the feeling you get when the alarm clock rings and you hold on to your covers like a life line.

Teacher burnout is real.  We start focusing on all of the negatives.  My colleague forgot to return the borrowed rulers, and I need them TODAY.  Why is the copy machine not working? My students never complete homework.  The list seems as endless as the pile of papers you have to grade. To avoid getting teacher burnout or at least prolong it to March (and not November like me), I have realized I need a system in place to keep me going through the tough, not-so-happy times.

My new school year resolution or teacher burnout challenge is to post something positive (in my teacher-life) everyday of the school year.  I want to focus on the small things that make me happy as a teacher.  To follow my teacher 'positivity' posts, follow this blog on twitter @middleperspects.  These daily positive moments will be my launching pad for future blog posts as well.  I invite our readers to join in on this challenge.  Let's make this a positive-filled school year! :)

1 comment:

  1. On twitter, post your own positive outlooks as #teacherpositivity :)

    ReplyDelete